Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/LPS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: LAMBETH PARISH SCHOOLS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.47 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Archishop Temple's Boys School
Archishop Tenison's Girls School
Archishop Tait's Infants School
Three schools were managed by the parish of Saint Mary, Lambeth:
Archbishop Tait's Infants School was named for Archibald Campbell Tait (1811-1882), Archbishop of Canterbury from 1869. It was situated at no 220 Lambeth Road, SE1. The school seems also to have been called Saint Mary's Infants School, and was associated with Archbishop Tenison's School for Girls.
Archbishop Temple's School was founded using a bequest of £24 made by Alexander Jones in 1660. In 1661 Richard Lawrence, a trustee appointed by Mr. Jones, bequeathed a property known as "Dog House Fields" for the school. In 1723 the school merged with another charity school and moved into new premises. In 1848 the school was again moved, this time to Hercules Road. The school could now accommodate 300 pupils. In 1904 another move was necessary due to the expansion of the railway. A site next to Lambeth Palace was donated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Frederick Temple. On the death of the Archbishop the name of the school was changed to reflect his contribution. In 1961 the school was merged with the local Archibishop Tenison's Girls School. The school was merged with other local schools in 1964 and in 1972 moved to a new site in Camberwell to accommodate the increase in pupils.
In 1706 Archbishop Tenison founded a school in Back Lane, later Lambeth High Street, for 12 girls - subsequently more. In 1787 the inhabitants of Lambeth subscribed for a new Girls' School, but until premises were ready, 30 girls were maintained by the subscribers at Tenison's School. After 1792 the Lambeth Subscription Girls' School functioned separately, but were linked with Tenison's School again in 1817, when Tenison's Trustees rebuilt "for the joint purposes of each Institution". In 1824 Tenison's Trustees, with "improved funds" offered to support the "Subscription" girls as well; the offer was accepted and the assets of the Subscription Girls' School used for new schools in the Waterloo and Norwood districts.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Archishop Temple's Boys School, Archishop Tenison's Girls School and Archishop Tait's Infants School; which together formed Lambeth Parish Schools. These records of the three schools are physically indivisible, hence they were listed and kept together; while other records are catalogued separately.
The records include minute books; Board of Education orders; financial accounts; and correspondence.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
A/LPS-1: Administration; A/LPS-2: Finance; A/LPS-3: Correspondence.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the Governors in the London County Record Office, 15 and 24 June 1964.
For earlier minutes of the three schools together, see A/LPB/16, and for records of the schools separately see A/LPB, A/ATG/ and A/LPI.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.