Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/007
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: FREEMASONS: SHAKESPEAR LODGE, NO. 99
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 33 production units.
Name of creator(s): United Grand Lodge of England | Shakespear Lodge, No 99
The Shakespear Lodge was constituted on 15 February 1757. Then known as the Parliament Street Coffee House Lodge, it met at the Parliament Street Coffee House, Parliament Street, Westminster. In 1772 the Lodge moved to the Castle Tavern, Henrietta Street, Covent Garden and in 1773 adopted the name Castle Lodge. Later in 1773 the Lodge moved to the Shakespear Tavern, Covent Garden Piazza and was subsequently renamed Shakespear Lodge. This name has been retained to date despite additional movements of the Lodge: Freemasons Tavern, Great Queen Street; Albion Tavern, Aldersgate Street; Savoy Hotel, Thames Embankment; Princes Restaurant, Piccadilly; Criterion Restaurant, Jermyn Street/ Piccadilly; Hotel Splendide, 105 Piccadilly; No. 96 Piccadilly; The Cafe Royal, 68 Regent Street; The Constitutional Club, St James Street/ St James Palace; Bakers Hall, Harp Lane, Lower Thames Street; and Mark Masons' Hall, 86 St James Street. The number of the Lodge, centrally registered with the Grand Lodge, has undergone several revisions, although it has remained as number 99 since 1863.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Shakespear Lodge, Number 99, comprising bye-laws, minutes, accounts, records of members, correspondence and related papers.
ACCESS TO THESE RECORDS REQUIRES THE WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE SECRETARY OF THE LODGE, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MS 29718 AND MS 29728 WHICH ARE FREELY AVAILABLE.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been arranged in order reflecting the record type.
Conditions governing access:
Access by written permission only.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
The whereabouts of the early minute books and other records are unknown despite extensive searches.
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were deposited by the Shakespear Lodge on 16 June 1994 (Ms 29718-33) and in February 2003 (Ms 33962). They were catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff in 1995 and 2003 respectively. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
For further details regarding the Shakespear Lodge see Ernest Arthur Ebblewhite The History of the Shakespear Lodge No. 99, 1757-1904 (privately printed, 1906) and William B L Steinthal The History of the Shakespear Lodge No. 99, Supplement 1905-1939 (privately printed, 1939). Both volumes are available in the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.