Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2692
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ARCHBISHOP TENISON'S GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.22 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Archbishop Tenison's Secondary School for Boys
Archbishop Tenison's Grammar School
The school and library were founded by Archbishop Tenison in 1697, and were housed in Castle Street, Saint Martin in the Fields. After moving to various temporary premises in Castle Street in 1871, the school occupied its new building in Leicester Square in 1872. The school at Kennington Oval was opened officially in 1928.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Archbishop Tenison's Grammar School (formerly known as Archbishop Tenison's Secondary School for Boys). Most important are the Trustees' and Governors' meetings minutes 1847-1953 (ref: Acc/2692/17-19). An unusual survival has been a number of evacuation records, which do not exist for many schools in London (ref: Acc/2692/142-148). Illustrations of the school and its life are present in a volume of plans of the school site at Kennington Oval dated 1927 (by A.H.R. Tenison, Architect, ref: Acc/2692/154), and in the large collection of photographs (ref: Acc/2692/155-205). Concerning the sale of the library in 1861 is a Catalogue from Sotheby's which records the prices fetched at auction for individual books (ref: Acc/2692/209). A history of the school, not entirely accurate, was written in 1928 and a transcript survives (ref: Acc/2692/240).
Records include: Schemes and Parliamentary Acts, Deeds, Minutes, Finance, Correspondence, Examiners' reports, Headmasters' reports, Papers and letters relating to School and Library, Building work, Record of boys, school work and functions, Evacuation records, Plans, Photographs, Printed material, Letters and papers relating to Revd C.F. Milner.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Additional records deposited by the Governors of Archbishop Tenison's School, 55 Kennington Oval, on 28 July 1987 and on 8 May 1989.
The original deposit of records for the school was made in 1961 and these are listed under the reference A/ATB/1-323. There were a fine series of title deeds, reports and accounts, including much material relating to the library.
The LMA has additional official records relating to the school, which were created by the School Board for London and the London County Council Education Department, including subject and policy files 1871-1955 (ref: LCC/EO/PS/3/80-86). The Archive also holds the records of Archbishop Tenison's School for Girls, Lambeth High Street (ref: A/ATG/1-197) which had close relations with the boys' grammar school.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.