Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/1400
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: IMPERIAL YEOMANRY SCHOOL, WEMBLEY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.36 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Imperial Yeomanry School, Wembley
Although bodies of volunteer horse had been raised during the reign of William III and at the time of the '45 rising, and for home defence in 1761, it was not until 1794 that the yeomanry was organised under the act of 34 Geo. III c.31. Following the early success of the French Revolutionary armies, the yeomanry came into being in 1794 to replace the cavalry regiments of the line which were drafted overseas. By 1798 every county and several large towns had raised troops of yeomanry.
After 1816 the Yeomanry were reduced, but unlike the infantry volunteers, were not disbanded. For many years until the establishment of county police forces, they played an important part in the maintenance of public order, being frequently called out to suppress riots and other disorders. In 1897 the number of men serving in the Yeomanry was 10,084.
On 20 December 1899, shortly after the outbreak of the South African war (1899-1902) The Times announced that the War Office had issued regulations with reference to Yeomanry in South Africa.: 'Her Majesty's Government have decided to raise for service in South Africa a mounted infantry to be named "The Imperial Yeomanry"'. Three thousand Yeomanry volunteered for service.
After the war, the Imperial Yeomanry School for Girls opened in Alperton Hall near Wembley to educate, board and clothe the daughters of the yeomen who were killed, permanently disabled or died from disease in the war. Later it was intended that similar benefits should be extended to the sons of these yeomen. Children, approved by the Executive Committee, of NCO's and men who had served or were serving in the Yeomanry in Great Britain and Ireland and who were in difficult circumstances were also to be included.
Scope and content/abstract:
The records in this collection relate to the Imperial Yeomanry School from 1904 to 3 March 1931 and to the subsequent Imperial Benevolent Fund for 4 August 1931-12 December 1934. They comprise administrative and financial records, including admission registers and log books. From the names in the admission registers it can be seen that boys had not been admitted by 4 September 1925. The addresses in the register show that although the school was in Middlesex, entrance was not limited to those who lived in Middlesex.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Administration ACC/1400/01-04; Finance ACC/1400/05-09.
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to closure periods.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in January 1978.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.