Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/3562
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Society of Antiquaries
The Society of Antiquaries was founded in 1707 for men with an interest in antiquarian pursuits. Originally based in taverns on Fleet Street, the Strand and Chancery Lane, the Society moved to Somerset House in 1781 and Burlington House in 1875.
The Royal Society was founded in 1648 to promote the natural sciences, mathematics, engineering and medicine. The Society was based at Gresham College, then Somerset House from 1780, Burlington House from 1857 and Carlton House Terrace from 1967.
Scope and content/abstract:
Circular relating to the election of a new President of the Royal Society, 1820; letters and notices of the Society of Antiquaries, 1837-1862.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
ACC/3562/001: Royal Society; ACC/3562/002-005: Society of Antiquaries.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The documents were part of the Greater London Record Office Map and Print Collection. It was, however, decided that it was more appropriate to treat them as part of the archival holdings of the office. Their provenance is not certain, but they probably formed part of the Gardner Collection which was broken up and sold at auction in 1923.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.