Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/LPB
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ARCHBISHOP TEMPLE'S BOYS' SCHOOL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.4 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Archishop Temple's Boys' School
Archbishop Temple's School was founded using a bequest of £24 made by Alexander Jones in 1660. In 1661 Richard Lawrence, a trustee appointed by Mr. Jones, bequeathed a property known as "Dog House Fields" for the school. In 1723 the school merged with another charity school and moved into new premises. In 1848 the school was again moved, this time to Hercules Road. The school could now accommodate 300 pupils. In 1904 another move was necessary due to the expansion of the railway. A site next to Lambeth Palace was donated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Frederick Temple. On the death of the Archbishop the name of the school was changed to reflect his contribution. In 1961 the school was merged with the local Archibishop Tenison's Girls School. The school was merged with other local schools in 1964 and in 1972 moved to a new site in Camberwell to accommodate the increase in pupils.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Archishop Temple's Boys School, Lambeth, including deeds relating to the school; minute books; financial accounts; plans of the school; Headmasters' reports; registers of admissions; log books; staff meeting minute books; and list of headmasters.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in sections: A/LPB-1: Administration; A/LPB-2: Finance and insurance; A/LPB-3: Plans; A/LPB-4: Pupils; A/LPB-5: Visitors; A/LPB-6: Staff.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in June 1964.
For further references to the school see A/LPS (including a brief history of the school at A/LPS/018), and item A/ATG/072.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.