Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4465
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HM YOUNG OFFENDER INSTITUTE AND REMAND CENTRE, FELTHAM
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.23 linear metres
Name of creator(s): HM Young Offender Institute, Feltham
Feltham Borstal Institution
HM Young Offender Institution and Remand Centre, Feltham
The origins of HM Young Offender Institute, Feltham can be traced back to 1854 when the erection of a reformatory school was first proposed by the Justices of the County of Middlesex. After the passing of the Industrial Schools Act of 1857, magistrates were empowered to sentence children aged between 7 and 14 to industrial schools. The Middlesex Industrial School, Feltham was built within the parish of Bedfont and opened on 1 January 1859. The school passed into the control of the London County Council in April 1889 and eventually closed in August 1909.
The premises then came under the control of the Prison Commissioners. Feltham Borstal Institution opened on 7 October 1910 when 23 boys were transferred from Borstal Institution at Borstal, Kent.
Feltham operated based on the Borstal model. Boys from the age of 16 to 21 who were taken into custody were either sent to Borstal training for 3 years, or to Boys' prison, where sentences were for a lesser period. Those who demonstrated criminal tendencies and in need of reform were sent to Borstal training. Training included instruction in trades, education, physical fitness and work. Good conduct could secure an early release on licence.
In September 1939, Feltham absorbed prisoners from the Boys' Prison at Wormwood Scrubs. This included boys awaiting trial, boy prisoners and those awaiting allocation to Borstal. In 1942, the remand centre moved back to Wormwood Scrubs but the Borstal Reception Centre and the Boys' prison remained at Feltham. In early 1945, the reception centre also went back to Wormwood Scrubs. By April 1946, the Boys' Prison at Feltham ceased to exist and Feltham reverted to being solely a Borstal.
In the early 1970s it was recognised that the buildings were inadequate and designs for a new institute were made incorporating a new remand centre to replace nearby Ashford. The new Feltham was opened in August 1983, although the merger was delayed. HM Young Offender Institution and Remand Centre Feltham was formed by the amalgamation of Ashford Remand Centre and Feltham Borstal in 1991.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of HM Young Offender Institute, Feltham. This collection contains records of administration (1910-1951); indexes and registers of prisoners (1923-1975); records of staff (1935-1970); medical records (1939-1973); chaplain's journals (1947-1980); printed material (1934-1964); and an artefact from 1985.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
These records have been catalogued to the following structure:
LMA/4465/A - ADMINISTRATION;
LMA/4465/B - PRISONERS;
LMA/4465/C - STAFF;
LMA/4465/D - MEDICAL;
LMA/4465/E - CHAPLAIN;
LMA/4465/F - PRINTED MATERIAL;
LMA/4465/G - ARTEFACTS.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 2004.
See Minutes Of Managing Committees of Industrial, Reformatory and Truant Schools: LCC/EO/SS/2. See also records of Wormwood Scrubs, HM Prison: LMA/4417. See also records of Feltham Industrial School: MA/GS-1.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.