Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/CBS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CHRIST CHURCH, NORTH BRIXTON SLATE AND LOAN CLUB
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.32 linear metres (9 files).
Name of creator(s): Slate and Loan Club | Parish of Christ Church, North Brixton
Parish of Christ Church, North Brixton | Church of England
A 'Slate Club' was a group who saved money in a common fund towards a specific purpose. For example, a small amount might be paid into the club each week, to be paid back in a lump sum at Christmas. The name derives from the early practice of keeping the accounts on a slate. Such clubs were often run by churches for the benefit of their poorer congregation.
Originally built in 1820 as a Congregationalist chapel called Holland Chapel, the building which was to become Christ Church, North Brixton was taken over as a proprietary chapel by the Reverend F Crossman. It became a Chapel of Ease to Saint Mark's Church, Kennington and when in 1855 Canon McConnell Hussey became its minister, he converted the leasehold land to freehold. He also arranged to have the district formed into a separate parish and to have the church consecrated, reseated and enlarged by the addition of an apse at his own expense. The church was consecrated on 9 October 1855. In 1891 the Reverend W. R Mowll was appointed. He was responsible for the building of a parish hall and the rebuilding of the old church which, dilapidated beyond repair, was closed in 1899 and demolished. The new church was consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester on 5 December 1902.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Slate and Loan Club of Christ Church, North Brixton, including annual balance sheets; rules of the Club; correspondence concerning the dissolution of the Club; and notes by the Secretary and President of the Club on its history.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
A/CBS-1: Balance sheets;
A/CBS-2: Rules and admission records;
A/CBS-3: Papers concerning dissolution of society;
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the London County Record Office [now LMA], 28 February, 1963.
For records of the Parish of Christ Church, North Brixton see reference P85/CTC2.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.