Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/SMN
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY, NEWINGTON SCHOOLS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Saint Mary, Newington Church of England School
Saint Mary, Newington Church of England School originated as a charity school for boys, founded in 1710. Girls were admitted from 1785. It became part of the United Parochial, National, Charity and Sunday Schools, Saint Mary, Newington, in 1816, with the addition of an infants' school in 1851. Branch schools were opened in the districts of Saint Peter in 1839 and Trinity in 1841, and managed by the general committee for Saint Mary's Schools until the creation of separate district managements in 1846.
The day schools' main income from endowments, subscriptions, donations and children's 'school-pence' was augmented by various grants from central government during the nineteenth century. When a fee grant was introduced under the Elementary Education Act 1891, the infants' school was made free. The school fees were abolished entirely in 1894.
In 1904, as a result of the Education Act of 1902 and the Education (London) Act of 1903, maintenance of the day schools was taken over by the London County Council (LCC), and management passed from the old committee of managers to a new body consisting of foundation managers and a representative of the metropolitan borough of Southwark. The schools continued as non-provided elementary day schools maintained by the Council.
In 1932, the boys', girls' and infants' schools were reorganised into infants' and senior mixed departments, juniors being accommodated in Newington Junior School, a temporary LCC elementary day school which was opened in that year in the adjacent Pastors' College. By 1947 Saint Mary's was both a primary and a secondary school. Aided status was awarded in 1951.
In 1953, the infants' department was closed and the school became purely a secondary modern. It was discontinued altogether in 1963 in the course of the reorganisation of voluntary schools in the area.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Saint Mary, Newington Church of England School including minutes of the committee of management; Foundation managers' declaration book; annual reports and statements of account; financial records; letter books; reports of visits to the school; correspondence relating mainly to school inspections, school maintenance, nominations for school gifts, appointments of staff, and finance; correspondence relating to school property; admission registers; log books; plans of the school; drawings and photographs.
Also records of associated institutions, including a log book and timetables from the Governors and Guardians of the Poor, Newington; a roll book for Holy Trinity, Newington Schools; financial accounts of the Guild of Nazareth, St. Mary Newington; sketches and plans relating to the site and building of the proposed mission church of Saint Gabriel, in the parish of Saint Mary Newington; and parish notices.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
A/SMN-1: Saint Mary Newington Schools;
A/SMN-2: Governors and Guardians of the Poor, Saint Mary Newington;
A/SMN-3: Holy Trinity, Newington Schools;
A/SMN-4: Guild of Nazareth, Saint Mary Newington;
A/SMN-5: Mission Church of Saint Gabriel, Saint Mary Newington;
A/SMN-6: Public Notices and Maps.
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to closure periods.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 1964 and 1966.
Other records of the day schools and the Sunday school are included amongst the records of the parish of Saint Mary, Newington (P92/MRY).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.