Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/CCP
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CHRIST CHURCH PAROCHIAL SCHOOLS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.54 linear metres (176 files).
Name of creator(s): Christ Church Parochial Schools, Southwark
Albert Institution Infant School
The details of the foundation of the school are not well understood. It appears that a certain Thomas Johnson left £80 to charity - and the money went to the parish of Christ Church. Then, in 1708, the Bishop of London left another £80 to the Parish. The Rector and Church wardens put these two sums together towards the clothing and education of up to 20 boys in the Parish. Later, 'well disposed persons' between them left £190, which was used with the other money to found a 'free' school in the Parish. Property was 'conveyed' to the Rector and the Church wardens to help 'any further improvements in learning and good education' - though this education was to be based on the principles of the Established Church.
The schools applied to become Public Elementary Schools in September 1857. The original situation of the school buildings was in Green walk (Holland Street), on the north side of Southwark Street. In 1897, the buildings moved across Southwark Street to Bear Lane. In 1901, the boys and girls departments were amalgamated, and the schools were completely reorganised in 1931, in conjunction with Saint Saviour's school.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Christ Church Parochial Schools, Southwark, including deeds, leases, agreements and other documents relating to school property and the trustees; minute books of the Trustees and the Managers; financial accounts; letter books; school log books; and plans of the school buildings.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
A/CCP-1: Deeds and agreements;
A/CCP-5: Log books;
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Greater London Record Office [now LMA], on August 25th 1967.
For records of the parish of Christ Church, Southwark, see reference P92/CTC.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.