Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4281
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: LONDON ARCHIVES USERS' FORUM
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.30 linear metres
Name of creator(s): London Archives Users' Forum
The London Archives Users' Forum (LAUF) was established in 1988 with the following objects 'for the public benefit -
- to represent and further the interests of users of archives in Greater London in public and private ownership;
- for the dissemination of information about such archives, and
- for the education of the public in their use'.
The objects were revised in 2002 to reflect the variety of work covered by Forum, as follows:
- 'promoting, supporting and assisting in the collection, preservation and conservation of archives;
- 'promoting public access to archives;
- 'publishing material, and promoting the creation and enhancement of catalogues and indexes, relating to archives;
- 'holding meetings, lectures, exhibitions and visits relating to archives;
- 'advancing the education of the public in the use of archives and their value as a resource for historical research, and
- affording a means of, and otherwise faciliating, communication between users and potential users of archives and those who have archives in their care or possession.'
The Forum successfully secured and steered a Heritage Lottery Fund project 'A Place in the Sun' relating to records of Sun Fire Insurance held at Guildhall Library, and subsequently was regularly called upon to give support to organisations applying for funding for projects. The Forum also commented and voiced concerns on changes in archive provision in the region including the reduction of archive services in the City of Westminster in 2004. Other activities included a quarterly newsletter, publications, visits and annual conferences.
The Forum remained a small body with membership of 300, with a low subscription rate and administration depended upon the commitment and energies of a small number of members. In 2004, a proposal was put forward by a working party represented by LAUF to establish a new membership organisation representing the interests of practioners and users of archives in London which would effectively absorb existing pan-London organisations promoting the interests of archives in London, including professional bodies such as the Greater London Archives Network (GLAN) and LAUF. 2006 saw the dissolution of LAUF and the transfer of assets to the newly established Archives for London (AfL).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the London Archives Users' Forum, comprising Committee minutes (1988-2006), Chairman's papers, publicity, and newsletter (1988-2005), 'Place in the Sun' Heritage Lottery Fund papers (2002-2004), and financial accounts.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged as follows:
LMA/4281/01 COMMITTEE AND ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING;
LMA/4281/03 'PLACE IN THE SUN': PROJECT CO-ORDINATOR;
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
The constitution of the Forum stipulated that upon dissolution of the organisation, the records of the Forum 'be offered for deposit in a record office appearing to the Honorary Officers to be appropriate'.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in 2006 and 2007.
For Greater London Archives Network minutes and correspondence please contact Hackney Archives Department.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.