Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4226
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT LUKE'S SCHOOL, RADNOR STREET
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.81 linear metres
Name of creator(s): St Luke Charity School x St Luke's Parochial School
The School for Boys was instituted in 1698, in Saint Giles, Cripplegate, and derived its name of 'Grey Coat School' from the boys at that time being dressed in that colour. When the area was made a district parish under the name of St. Luke, Middlesex, the School was called the St Luke Charity School. The School was inaugurated and maintained by voluntary subscriptions and donations - the subscribers being managers and governors at the same time.
The Girls Schools was instituted in 1761 by voluntary subscriptions.
As time passed and the population of the district grew, the Managers felt the Schools' accommodation was insufficient for its requirements. Efforts to enlarge the premises by purchasing adjacent properties were unsuccessful, and as the wealthy began to leave the neighbourhood, support for the Schools dwindled.
The subscribers formed an investment committee and gradually built up funds as well as purchasing in 1853 ground rents of property in Marylebone Lane and Holborn. By 1863 further purchases were made in Cleveland Street, St. Pancras and Westmoreland Place.
Now the School was in a position to move from Golden Lane to a larger premises in Old Street on land owned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
Funds were sought for the erection of a new school and in 1870 the foundation stone was laid for a building capable of holding 400 children.
The School's name was later changed to 'The Saint Luke's Parochial School' and by 1904 although the School was parochial in nature it was not exclusively so, since many of the children educated there, were not necessarily from the parish.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Saint Luke Charity School, later known as Saint Luke's Parochial School, including Minutes of the Trustees from 1882 to 1970, Managers Meetings 1904 to 1980, Subscribers and General Committee Minutes 1813 to 1941, AGM minutes 1916 to 1943, Schools and Estates Committee 1875 to 1904, House Committee 1812 to 1876, School Care Committee 1919 to 1970 and reports and correspondence 1911-1970.
Also financial accounts 1761 to 1944, and receipts 1868 to 1950; and records relating to property owned or bought by St. Luke's Trustees including leases and mortgages for properties in Cleveland Street, Westmoreland, William Street and Marylebone Lane, 1717 to 1976. Pupil records include a short series of Admission Registers 1918 to 1979, Log Books 1913 to 1961 Punishment Books 1947 to 1969, and Pupil Transfer Books 1960 to 1975. There are also a series of pupil files 1915 to 1979, and a series of agreements 1903 to 1938 between managers and teachers along with statements of work.
Also copies of rules and regulations for the Parochial Schools, reports of St. Luke's School 1863 and 1904, Returns dated 1898 and a volume entitled 'Reports of the Commissioners. Charities and Education of the Poor in England and Wales 1815-1839'. There are also plans and maps of the School and its parish 1887 to 1976 and some ephemeral items which include invitations and visitors book for the opening of the new School in 1974, and a series of photographs showing trustees, teachers events and school properties dating from around 1887 to 1970's.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
LMA/4226/D: Pupil Records;
LMA/4226/E: Legal Records;
LMA/4226/F: Printed Material;
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of Saint Luke's Parochial Schools were deposited in 1999.
For the records of the parish of Saint Luke, Old Street, see P76/LUK.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: June to August 2010.