Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/188
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ENGLISH REFORMED CHURCH, HAMBURG
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 10 production units.
Name of creator(s): English Reformed Church, Hamburg
The church had had a presence in Hamburg since the 18th century. In 1890 the church building was bought by the city for 300,000 marks to make way for tramlines, and a new building bought. The church was destroyed in World War II.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the English Reformed Church, Hamburg, comprising registers (and related papers) of baptisms, marriages and burials. They were catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
The records of the English Reformed Church at Hamburg were deposited with the Consulate General Hamburg for safe-keeping in 1938-9 along with the records of Hamburg Anglican Chaplaincy. It is not known how these registers came to be in the possession of the Anglican chaplaincy, with whose records they were deposited, or where further records of the Reformed Church might be.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, which merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See CLC/364 for the records of the Hamburg Anglican Chaplaincy.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.