Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/182
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SCOTS CHURCH, LONDON WALL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 34 production units.
Name of creator(s): Scots Church | London Wall x Trinity Presbyterian Church | Canonbury
The church was established at Founders' Hall in the City of London before 1665, moving in 1764 to London Wall. In 1843 the congregation became part of the Presbyterian Church, moving again in 1856 to a new building in Canonbury. In 1935 this community merged with the Highbury Presbyterian Church. The Highbury church was destroyed by enemy action in World War Two, and in 1944 the church was dissolved.
Dr Robert Young (1777-1813) was a minister at the Scots Church, 1803-13.
Scope and content/abstract:
The records of the Scots Church before 1856 comprise constitutional documents, registers and records of the congregation, financial material, letterbooks and administrative papers, and deeds. Also papers of Dr Robert Young (1801-1813).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of both churches were deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1948, and 1949. They were catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff. Papers of Dr Young were deposited in Guildhall Library by the Presbyterian Historical Society of England in 1948. They were catalogued in the same year by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
For other records of the Scotch Church see LMA/4356; for the period after 1856 see Trinity Presbyterian Church, Canonbury, LMA/4368. Other records are held at The National Archives.
For an outline of the history of the chapel see Walter Wilson, The History and Antiquities of the Dissenting Churches...in London..., London 1808, vol.ii, pp.293-301.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.