Reference code(s): GB 0074 Q/CP
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Various.
Crystal Palace was constructed in 1851 in Hyde Park, to house the Great Exhibition. After the Exhbition it was dismantled and re-erected in Sydenham where it was used as an amusement park, holding exhbitions, concerts, theatrical productions, firework displays and sports events. It had a small zoo, fountains and a statue park. The Palace burned down in 1936 and was destroyed.
Scope and content/abstract:
This collection consists of letters to and from officials of the Crystal Palace relating to exhibitions, visits and events.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Documents in chronological order.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Purchased by the London County Council Record Office from Edward Hall in May 1958.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.