Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/366
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, BOULOGNE SUR MER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1 volume.
Name of creator(s): Holy Trinity Anglican Church | Boulogne sur Mer, France
The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.
A number of English speaking churches were established in Boulogne during the nineteenth century, however, as the expatriate community decreased in size these were closed. The community was served by a visiting chaplain until 1995, and worships in chapels loaned by other churches.
Scope and content/abstract:
Register of marriages for the Anglican church of Holy Trinity, Boulogne sur Mer, France.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, which merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar. See CLC/379 for the North West France Anglican Chaplaincy.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.