Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/209
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ALDGATE WARD SCHOOL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 36 production units.
Name of creator(s): Aldgate Ward School
The City of London was divided into wards for the purpose of government as early as Norman times. The wards had responsibility to keep the peace, supervise trade and oversee sanitation, and each ward has the right to elect an Alderman and Commoners to sit in the Court of Common Council of the Corporation of London. Aldgate Ward is the easternmost of the City of London's wards within the City walls. The ward is based around one of the four original gates in the City wall, built between 1108 and 1147.
The school was established for boys and girls in the Ward in circa 1717, with buildings between Duke Street and Mitre Street. Following the Education Act of 1902 it decided in 1903 to merge with the Sir John Cass Foundation, transferring its property to the Foundation, on the condition that poor children of the ward had preferential access to the Foundation's technical college.
Scope and content/abstract:
Papers of the Aldgate Ward School, City of London. The records comprise committee minutes, financial accounts, attendance registers and guarantees, lists of benefactors, correspondence and deeds.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives of Aldgate Ward School have been deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1902 and catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
For records of Aldgate Ward, see CLC/W/FB. For the Sir John Cass Foundation see CLC/215 and sub-fonds.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.