Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/207
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SYON ABBEY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1 production unit.
Name of creator(s): Syon Abbey | Isleworth
Syon Abbey was founded in 1415 by Henry V. It was a Brigittine monastery (the Order of the Most Holy Saviour was founded in 1370 by St Birgitta of Sweden and is usually known as the Brigittine order). The first site was in Twickenham but it moved to Isleworth in 1431. Henry VIII took over the monastery in 1534 and since 1594 it has been the site of Syon House, home of the Percys, Dukes of Northumberland.
Scope and content/abstract:
"Rules of the Monastery of Syon", probably written in the early 16th century for use by the brethren of Syon Abbey, Isleworth, Middlesex.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Access only to holders of a History Card. Please see staff if you require a card.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, which merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.