Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/215-16
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: TOWER WARD SCHOOL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4 production units.
Name of creator(s): Tower Ward School
Tower Ward School was founded by voluntary subscription in 1707 for girls and in 1709 for boys. In 1808 the school bought a house in Great Tower Street; 9 Black Raven Court was purchased in 1846 for use as a school house. In 1874 the school was united with the Billingsgate Ward School and both properties were subsequently sold.
The united school merged with the combined Bridge, Candlewick and Dowgate Wards School in 1891 and this school combined with St Botolph Parochial School in 1905 to form the Sir John Cass Junior School.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Tower Ward School, comprising trustees' minute books; Ladies' Committee minute books and boys' attendance register.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
CLC/215/MS31162 to MS31164.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archive was deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section by the Foundation in 1995 (apart from Ms 19627-8). The records were catalogued by a member of the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
For records of Tower Ward see CLC/W/NA.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.