Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/196
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: WHITECHAPEL QUAKER BURIAL GROUND
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1 production unit.
Name of creator(s): Whitechapel Quaker Burial Ground
The land which became Whitechapel Quaker Burial Ground was first leased by the Quakers in 1743. The burial ground was under the care of the Devonshire House monthly meeting until its closure in 1857.
Scope and content/abstract:
Interment order book for the Whitechapel Quaker Burial Ground, 1777-1781, comprising printed orders to the gravemaker, annotated with the name, address, age, date and cause of death, monthly meeting membership and date of burial of the deceased.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The original manuscript, believed to be part of a larger volume, was purchased at a book fair in 1987 by Mr J End, who compiled the alphabetical abstract. Microfilm copy filmed in 1987.
See CLC/183 for the Devonshire House meetings.
For further historical background see Beck and Ball, London Friends' Meetings, 1867, pp.334-5.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.