Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/332
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BRITISH CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, MOSCOW
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6 production items.
Name of creator(s): British Church of St Andrew | Moscow, Russia
The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.
The Russia Company was the patron of Anglican churches in Moscow, St Petersburg, Cronstadt and Archangel. The first chapel in Moscow was established in 1706 but was closed down when the British Factory left Moscow in 1717, initially for Archangel; its headquarters moved to St Petersburg in 1723.
In 1825 a chapel was opened in Princess Prozorowski's House at 259 Twerskoy, known as the British Chapel, Moscow, and a chaplain appointed. Land for a permanent church was purchased in 1828 and building was completed at the end of 1829/beginning of 1830.
A new church was consecrated in January 1885 when its official designation became the British Church of St Andrew, Moscow. The title deeds were drawn up in the name of the Russia Company who held the land, buildings and furniture in trust for the British residents. The chaplain was appointed by the Russia Company subject to the approval of a meeting of subscribers of annual contributions to the chaplaincy. The Russia Company also paid part of the chaplain's stipend.
The church was seized by the Bolsheviks in 1920, the chaplaincy terminated and the chaplain withdrawn. A new chaplaincy was established in Helsinki and the chaplain paid visits to Russia. Services in Moscow are held in the British Embassy.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the British Church of Saint Andrew, Moscow, Russia; including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; minute book of meetings of the subscribers; articles defining the position of the church; and cash book.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, which merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.