Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/386
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT ANDREW'S CHURCH, TANGIER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 67 production units.
Name of creator(s): St Andrew's Anglican Church | Tangier, Morocco
The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.
In 1882 a church building fund was started in order to build a small Anglican church in Tangier. An iron church was erected in 1884 which could seat 100 people, and was opened the following year. However, it was found to have insufficient accommodation and was therefore sold to the Evangelical Mission in Tangier. The foundation stone of the present stone church was laid in 1894. The church was consecrated in 1905. A photocopy of the grant of land on which the church was built is in the diocesan filing [Guildhall Library Ms 20983/51].
Captain John Hay Brooks (d 1940) bequeathed a legacy for the benefit of the church and of indigent Moors. The trust was managed by three wardens, who formed themselves into a Societe d' Anonyme (limited liability company) in 1967 for the better administration of the trust. The company was called Brooks Bequest S.A.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Saint Andrew's Anglican Church, Tangier, Morocco, comprising minutes, accounts, correspondence, newsletters, notes on the church and photographs.
These records are subject to a 30 year closure period and Ms 35876 is permanently closed. For further details contact the enquiry desk.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Restricted access: please see staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library by the chaplaincy in 1999, 2003 and 2006 and catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.