Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/313/A
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT PAUL'S CATHEDRAL DEAN AND CHAPTER: CHARTERS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 93 production units.
Name of creator(s): St Paul's Cathedral | London
Saint Paul's Cathedral was probably founded in 604 by the King of Kent, Saint Ethelbert. The original wooden building was replaced by a stone church between 675 and 685; but this was destroyed by Vikings. The replacement building was destroyed by fire in 1087. The replacement cathedral was begun under the direction of Maurice, Bishop of London and chaplain to William the Conqueror. It was constructed in imported Caen stone and was higher and larger than the present building, topped by the tallest spire ever to have been built. The Cathedral precinct was walled in, and included a Chapter House, Saint Gregory's parish church, the Bishop's Palace, the Pardon Churchyard, a College of Minor Canons, the chapel of Saint Faith, Saint Paul's School, Paul's Cross, and a free-standing bell-tower. Paul's Cross was an important site for London life; sermons were preached here, proclamations made, and the folk moot for free citizens was held here. The cathedral itself was the site of many grand royal and ceremonial occasions: kings married here, lay in state here and gave thanks for military victories.
The Reformation caused great problems for the Cathedral, and the Dean and Chapter were unable to maintain the fabric. The walls of the Precinct crumbled and the open space around the Cathedral, as well as the nave itself, was used for business, selling of goods and meetings. Services were held in the choir. Extensive repairs were not begun until the 1630s, although they were interrupted by the Civil War and Cromwell's army used the nave as a cavalry barracks. The army smashed windows, mutilated statues and burned the woodwork. The nave roof fell in and the Bishop's Palace was destroyed. In 1663 the Dean and Chapter asked Christopher Wren to suggest how repairs could begin. Wren advocated destroying the existing building and starting again, which was rejected. He therefore drew up reconstruction plans which were accepted in 1666, 6 days before the Great Fire of London. The building was almost completely destroyed during the Fire, only the monument to poet and clergyman John Donne surviving.
Wren was forced to demolish the remainders of the walls using a battering ram. He made three designs for the new building; he is said to have burst into tears when his personal favourite was rejected. A design was finally selected in 1675, but Wren was given leave to adjust the plans if he chose to and he did make modifications, including the famous dome rather than a spired steeple. The rebuilding took 35 years, supervised throughout by Wren. He was one of the first people to be buried in the new crypt. Also buried in the crypt are Nelson, Wellington, and other distinguished soldiers, sailors, airmen, musicians, artists and writers.
Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Dean and Chapter of Saint Paul's Cathedral, London, including Royal charters, originals and copies, 11th-17th centuries (CLC/313/A/001/MS25241/001-084). The earliest surviving royal charter, by William II, dates from 1099/1100 (CLC/313/A/001/MS25241/004). Other records include a charter roll, probably compiled during the late 13th century, recording royal writs granted to the Cathedral; and a conge d'elire from George III to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's Cathedral, 1764.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: Latin and English.
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section. For a detailed discussion of the arrangement of the collection, see the fonds level description for Saint Paul's Cathedral, reference CLC/313.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The bulk of the archives of St Paul's Cathedral were transferred to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in September 1980. They were catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff in around 1989. Other accessions were received from the 1960s onwards. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
CLC/313/A/001/MS25241/1-80 are listed in an 18th century calendar; Ms 25241/1-50 are also calendared by Maxwell Lyte (HMC Ninth Report, boxes A59-60).
For further information about CLC/313/A/005/MS25272 see GRC Davis, Medieval Cartularies of Great Britain (1958), no.598.
Medieval charters of the cathedral, and various Anglo-Saxon grants whose texts are preserved in the cathedral's cartularies (see section CLC/313/B), have been edited by Marion Gibbs, "Early Charters of the Cathedral Church of St Paul, London", Camden Society, 3rd series, vol.58 (1939). See also PH Sawyer, Anglo-Saxon Charters: An Annotated List and Bibliography (Royal Historical Society, Guides and Handbooks no.8, 1968).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.