Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/187
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BARTHOLOMEW CALVINIST CHAPEL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1 production unit.
Name of creator(s): Bartholomew Calvinist Chapel
A small independent chapel had been on the site in Bartholomew Close, next to the church of St Bartholomew the Great, since the reign of Charles II, situated in part of a building called Middlesex House, initially as a Presbyterian congregation. This was dissolved in 1753. It was subsequently used by the Methodists, its earlier ministers being Calvinist. John Wesley preached here in 1763.
Scope and content/abstract:
Minute book of the Bartholomew Calvinist Chapel.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
This volume was deposited with the parish records of St Bartholomew the Great in 1947. It was catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
For an outline history of the chapel, see Walter Wilson, The History and Antiquities of the Dissenting Churches...in London..., London 1808, vol.iii, pp.369-388.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.