Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/341
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CHRIST CHURCH, NAPLES
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 40 production units.
Name of creator(s): Christ Church, Naples
The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.
An Anglican burial ground was constructed in Naples in 1827, and consecrated in 1844. The chaplaincy began in 1831 as a Legation Chaplaincy within the Palazzo Sasso, the residence of the British Minister to the Court of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. In 1834 permission was granted to build a church, but the works were stopped. Instead services were held in a room in the British consulate.
In 1861 the British Consul headed a deputation to obtain the fulfilment of a promise made by General Garibaldi to give them a piece of free ground adjacent to the barracks of S. Teresella a Chiata for the purpose of building an Anglican Church. The land was granted in 1862, and the foundation stone of the church was laid the same year. It was consecrated in 1865.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Christ Church Anglican church, Naples, Italy, including burial registers; service books; title deeds; minute books; churchwarden's books; correspondence files; annual reports; financial accounts; and a history of the church.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English and Italian.
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library by the chaplaincy in 1997 and catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.