Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/385
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT ANDREW'S CHURCH, BIARRITZ
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1 volume.
Name of creator(s): St Andrew's Anglican Church | Biarritz, France
The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.
Anglican services began in Bayonne in 1853 before moving to Biarritz in 1854. The church was opened in 1861, but had to be replaced with a more spacious building in 1878 as the popularity of the resort grew.
Scope and content/abstract:
Service register for Saint Andrew's Anglican Church, Biarritz, France.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, which merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.