Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/216
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: TURNER'S FREE SCHOOL FOR POOR BOYS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 49 production units.
Name of creator(s): Turner's Free School for Poor Boys
Turner's Free School was established under the control of seven trustees, by the bequest of Richard Turner, citizen and haberdasher (will proved P.C.C. 1768). It took the place of the Norton Folgate Charity School, of which Turner had been Treasurer, which was situated in the old court house of the Liberty of Norton Folgate. The school moved to 4 Primrose Street in 1775. It aimed to educate the children of the poor of the area in reading, writing, accounting and church catechism.
Under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners sealed 28 June 1880, the funds of the charity were diverted to the further training of female pupil teachers at church training colleges, providing "Turner's Exhibitions" held over a two year period, preference being given to candidates from the parishes of St Mary, Spital Square, St Botolph Bishopsgate, Shoreditch, Spitalfields and Bethnal Green. In 1902 supervision of the charity was transferred to the Board of Education and various amendments were made
Under a new Charity Commissioners Scheme, sealed 16 August 1927, the exhibitions could be held at any places of education higher than elementary, not necessarily Church of England institutions. Since the Education Act of 1944 the funds of the charity have been allocated to training and further educating college students and secondary and grammar school pupils in financial need. For a more detailed account of the history of the charity see Ms 18608.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Turner's Free School for Poor Boys including registers, minutes, accounts, administrative papers, copies of the Charity Commissioners' schemes, and notes on the history of the school.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Mss 10754-762 were purchased by Guildhall Library in 1961, the other records have been deposited by the school at various dates since 1988. They have been catalogued by members of the Manscipts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.