Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/191
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: JEWIN STREET WESLEYAN CHAPEL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1 production unit.
Name of creator(s): Jewin Street Methodist Chapel
The Wesleyan chapel on the north side of Jewin Street, near the west end of Jewin Crescent, was established in the 18th century. It was rebuilt in 1847. In 1878 the chapel was sold, and, although the trustees tried to maintain an establishment in Shaftesbury Hall, Aldersgate Street, this failed. The receipts from the sale of Jewin Street were then passed to Wesley's Chapel on the City Road.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Jewin Street Wesleyan Chapel, comprising annual chapel trust schedules.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
This volume was deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library by the Methodist Archives and Research Centre in 1977. It was subsequently catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also ACC/2330-5 and N/M/041 for records of Jewin Street Chapel.
For an outline history of the early period of the chapel, see Walter Wilson, The History and Antiquities of the Dissenting Churches...in London..., London 1808, vol.iii, pp.327-57.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.