Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0990
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: TURNPIKE ROADS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Unknown.
The turnpike system dated from 1663 when Parliament authorised the erection of toll barriers along the Great North Road. The principle was that each person should contribute to the repair of the roads in proportion to the use he made of them. A barrier was placed across a road and a toll taken from each road user except pedestrians; the monies were then used to support the maintenance and improvement of the road. Turnpikes were placed under the control of bodies known as Turnpike Trusts. By 1770 there were over 1100 Trusts, administering 23,000 miles of road, with 7800 toll gates.
Scope and content/abstract:
Papers relating to turnpike roads, comprising copies of the 1766 Act to repair the highways between Tyburn and Uxbridge... and for amending the road from Brent Bridge over Hanwell Heath, through... Hanwell, New Brentford, and Ealing to the Great Western Road; and for lighting, watching, and watering the highway between Tyburn and Kensington Gravel Pits; a plan of the Great Road from Tybourn to Uxbridge and from Brent Bridge to Brentford; and the 1794 Act to continue the term and enlarge the powers of the 1766 Act.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in February 1968.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: August to October 2010.