Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/084
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: FOREIGN BANKS AND SECURITIES HOUSES ASSOCIATION
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 174 production units.
Name of creator(s): Foreign Banks and Securities Houses Association | 1989-2003
Foreign Banks and Affiliates Association | 1947-1979
Foreign Banks Association | 1979-1989
Association of Foreign Banks | 2003-
The Foreign Banks and Affiliates Association was founded in 1947 with twelve members. Membership had increased to 108 by 1981, almost a third of all the foreign banks (including the British overseas and Commonwealth banks) in the City. In 1983 three regional committees: EEC (countries of the European Economic Community), Europe (countries of Eastern and Western Europe which were not members of the EEC committee) and World were set up. Later in the same year, functional committees were established: Accounting and Statistics; Banking Supervision; CHAPS (the clearing banks' proposals for an automated payment clearing system) and LondonClear; Export Finance; Fiscal; Foreign Exchange; Operations; and Securities. In 1979 the organisation's name was changed to the Foreign Banks Association, in 1989 to the Foreign Banks and Securities Houses Association, and in 2003 to the Association of Foreign Banks.
The Association was based at 4 Bishopsgate (1947-73), 16 St Helen's Place (1974-1977), 1-3 Abchurch Yard (1977-1981), 4 Bishopsgate (1981-1989), 68 Lombard Street (1989-1990) and 5 Lawrence Pountney Lane (1991-).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Foreign Banks and Securities Houses Association including minutes, correspondence, annual reports, circulars and newsletters. Many of the correspondence files concern matters of general interest to the Association members, such as fraud and money laundering, taxation, liquidity, securities, mergers, foreign exchange and currency, supervision and regulation, banking codes of practice, legislation, and so on.
Access to records less than 30 years old should be sought from the Association of Foreign Banks (contact details may be obtained from staff).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The Association's archives were donated to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1997 and 1998. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
For a more detailed history of the Association see Adrienne Gleeson, London Enriched: the development of the foreign banking community in the City over five decades (London, 1997) held in the Printed Books Section.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.