Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/092
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: GABRIEL, WADE AND ENGLISH LIMITED
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 39 production units.
Name of creator(s): Gabriel, Wade and English Ltd | timber importers and merchants
Christopher Gabriel set up in business as a plane maker in 1770. On his death in 1809, the business was taken over by his sons and the name was changed to T and C Gabriel. From around 1812 the focus of the business moved from plane, looking-glass and chair manufacture, to the importation and sale of timber. Christopher Gabriel was the grandfather of Sir Thomas Gabriel (1811-1891), who became Lord Mayor of London in 1866 (this collection does not contain any personal papers of Sir Thomas). Many members of the family were freemen and liverymen of the Goldsmiths' Company.
From 1823 the business was known as Thomas Gabriel and Sons. In 1912 it amalgamated with John Burton and Co to become Thomas Gabriel and Sons and Burtons. Following another amalgamation in 1919, the business became a public company and the name changed to Gabriel, Wade and English Limited. The business was acquired by Montague L. Meyer Limited in 1968.
From the early 19th century the works were based at Barnard's Wharf, 341 Rotherhithe Street, Rotherhithe. Until 1930 the family held Gabriel's Wharf, Commercial Road, Lambeth, on a long lease from the Duchy of Cornwall. There was also a branch yard at Exeter. By 1937 branch offices had been established in Hull, Wisbech, Ipswich, Southampton, Exeter, Bedford, Leicester, Cambridge, Peterborough and Scarborough.
The business was based at Albermarle Street (1770-4), Golden Lane (1774-9), 100 Old Street (1779-1794), 31-32 Banner Street, Bunhill Row (1797-1814), Commercial Road, Lambeth (1815-1919), Aldwych House, Aldwych (1919-1961), and 6 John's Street, Holborn (1961-1968).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Gabriel, Wade and English Limited, timber importers and merchants, including annual reports, financial accounts, sales ledgers and daybook, records of timber imported, property deeds, and photographs of tree-felling, logging and timber constructions.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The family's archives were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1995 and 2007. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
See also Gabriel Family (CLC/450).
See also Jane & Mark Rees, Christopher Gabriel and the Tool Trade in 18th Century London (Ipswich, 1997), held in the Printed Books Section, Guildhall Library.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.