Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/096
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: GEORGE WHITE AND COMPANY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4 production units.
Name of creator(s): George White and Co | tea and rubber brokers
The firm of George White and Company, tea and (briefly) rubber brokers, first appears in trade directories in 1873 with premises at 23 Rood Lane. In 1904 the firm entered into partnership with Wilton Bartleet, an English tea broker working in Colombo, trading there as George White, Bartleet and Company (the London operation continued as before). The partnership with Bartleet was dissolved in 1912, but George White and Company continued to act as Bartleet's London agents. In 1910, the firm branched into rubber broking. However, this part of the business appears to have been hived off in 1927 with the creation of George White, Yuille and Company Limited, rubber brokers.
George White and Company changed its name to George White and Company (Tea Brokers) Limited in 1931, and to George White, Sanderson (Tea Brokers) Limited in c 1965. It merged in 1973 with Gow, Wilson Limited, tea, rubber and produce brokers of 82 Middlesex Street.
The firm of George White, Yuille and Company Limited disappears from trade directories after 1963; its subsequent history is unknown.
George White and Company and successors had premises: 23 Rood Lane (1873-1878); 2 Great Tower Street (1879-1887); 31/32 Fenchurch Street (1888-1930); 37/38 Fenchurch Street and 3 Mincing Lane (1931-41); Plantation House, Fenchurch Street (1942-1943); 112/113 Fenchurch Street (1944-53); Dunster House, Mincing Lane (1954-1969); and 80 Clifton Street (1970-2).
George White, Yuille and Co Ltd had premises: 31/32 Fenchurch Street (1928-9); 3 Mincing Lane (1930-59); 29 Mincing Lane (1960); and 48 Fenchurch Street (1961-1963).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of George White and Company, tea and rubber brokers, comprising ledgers.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
These ledgers are believed to be the only surviving records of George White & Company. They were rescued from the firm's offices in Fenchurch Street after the building was bombed during the Second World War.
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were presented to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 2007 by a descendant of Herbert Buchanan Yuille, a partner in the firm of George White and Company from around 1904.The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.