Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/087
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: FREDERICK HUTH AND COMPANY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 41 production units.
Name of creator(s): Frederick Huth and Co | merchants and bankers
Frederick Huth first established his own business in Corunna, Spain, in 1805. He came to London in 1809 and set up business as a merchant at 17 Broad Street Buildings. In 1814 he took John Frederick Gruning into partnership and the resulting firm, Huth and Company, moved to 1 South Place, Finsbury. It moved again in 1818 to 9 South Street, Finsbury, where it remained until 1839; then it moved to 10 Moorgate before its final move in 1872 to 12 Tokenhouse Yard. Throughout the 19th century the firm is described in London directories as "merchants"; only from 1904 is the description "bankers" added, although it is clear that the business always included banking. From 1912-24 the firm had a fur warehouse at 64 Park Street, Southwark, and from 1925-36 at 58-60 Cannon Street; it also had a tea warehouse at 37 Fenchurch Street, 1921-1872.
A South American company was formed in 1854 which traded as Frederick Huth, Gruning and Company at Valparaiso and Lima until 1878 when it became Huth and Company of Valparaiso. Frederick Huth and Company of London received half the profits of this company.
In 1936 the company was dissolved: the banking business was acquired by British Overseas Bank Limited, and the fur business by C.M. Lampson and Company Limited.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Frederick Huth and Company, merchants and bankers. The material in this archive is incomplete, reflecting primarily the merchant and banking business during the 19th century. The records comprise correspondence and financial material, including some relating to the subsidary businesses in Spain, Chile and Peru.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English, French, German, and Spanish.
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Available only with advance notice and at the discretion of the Assistant Director (Heritage).
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archive was presented to Guildhall Library in 1961, 1987 and 1991 and catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Additional Huth manuscripts (letter and account books ca. 1820-ca. 1861) are in the custody of University College Library, London. Ms 25049 is a list supplied by this library of the material they hold. The survival of any other material is unknown.
Andrew J Murray has written the only published biography of Huth, Home from the Hill (London, 1970), which contains some information on the early history of the company.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.