Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/010
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: ANGLO-PORTUGUESE BANK LIMITED
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 118 production units.
Name of creator(s): Anglo-Portuguese Colonial and Overseas Bank | 1919-1955
Anglo-Portuguese Bank Ltd | 1955-1977
AP Bank Ltd | 1977-1987
Riggs AP Bank | 1987-2005
The Banco Nacional Ultramarino was founded in Lisbon, Portugal in 1864. In 1955 the Banco Nacional Ultramarino described itself as a bank of issue in the Portuguese overseas provinces of Cape Verde, Guinea, S. Tome and Principe, Mozambique, India, Macau and Timor. It had 57 branches and town agencies in Portugal, and 20 branches in overseas provinces. It established a branch in London in 1919 which was to subsequently become the Anglo-Portuguese Colonial and Overseas Bank. The memoranda and articles of association for the company were registered in 1929.
The name of the bank was shortened in 1955 to Anglo-Portuguese Bank Limited. In 1957, the bank described its main activity as the "financing of international trade of a self-liquidating nature". It became a wholly owned subsidiary of Norwich Union Life Insurance Society in 1975 and was renamed AP Bank Limited in 1977. In 1984 the bank was purchased by Riggs Bank Limited and became known as Riggs AP Bank from 1987. In 2004 Riggs Bank was taken over by PNC and the next year Riggs went into liquidation.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Anglo-Portuguese Bank Limited, including memorandum and articles of association; Board minutes; annual reports and accounts; correspondence; financial records; manager's files; some staff files; and communications with headquarters in Portugal.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English, Portuguese and French.
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The company's archives were donated to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 2005. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.