Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/117
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HILL VELLACOTT
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 32 production units.
Name of creator(s): Hill Vellacott | accountants
The date of the origin of the firm is uncertain, but the firm can be traced back to Edward Thomas Jones (1767-1833), author of English System of Book-Keeping (1796). Edward Thomas began his career in accountancy in Bristol, but moved to London in 1821, living first in Poultry and later in Coleman Street. His business was continued by his nephew, Theodore Brooke Jones, in 1846, and Arthur James Hill in 1867.
Soon afterwards Theodore Brooke Jones moved to Harrogate and opened offices in Leeds and Manchester. In 1878 the business was divided into three distinct firms: the Manchester firm became known as Jones Crewdson & Company, the Leeds firm was called Theodore B Jones and Company, and the London firm became Theodore Jones, Hill and Company. In the same year, William Edward Vellacott, who had been articled to the London firm in 1869, was admitted to the partnership. The name of the London firm was changed to Theodore Jones, Hill, Vellacott and Company in 1884, and in 1888, when Jones withdrew from the practice, to Arthur J Hill, Vellacott and Company.
The location of the firm's office in London changed frequently; the longest period of time was spent at Finsbury Circus House (1871-1914). In 1941 the firm's offices were damaged by floods following bomb damage and many of the company's early records were destroyed. Offices were also opened in Belfast, Cambridge, Northampton, Croydon and Leicester.
From 1927 the firm was known as Hill, Vellacott & Company (Hill, Vellacott from 1967, and Hill Vellacott from 1975). The company underwent various mergers from 1923, including one in 1984 with Chantry Wood King, and the company's name was changed to Chantrey Vellacott in 1988.
The business of the Jones family and of Arthur Hill was involved in the co-operative and building society movements, and their clients included the Longton and Fenton Permanent Benefit Building Society.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Hill Vellacott, accountants, including partnership agreements; partners' minute book; correspondence; financial accounts; client files; photographs of partners; papers regarding staff; and lectures and speeches on accountancy.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The company's archives were donated to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1998 and 2001. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
A history of the company: Hill Vellacott: An Historical Account of Their Development Since 1788 (London, The Firm, 1988) is available in the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.