Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/110
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HAMBROS BANK LIMITED
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 304 production units.
Name of creator(s): Hambros Bank Ltd
The Bank originated as the London branch of the Copenhagen firm of J. C. Hambro and Son (established c 1800) and was formerly known as C. J. Hambro and Son, 1839-1920 and Hambros Bank of Northern Commerce Ltd, 1920-1921. It formerly traded from 11 King William Street, c 1839-1843, and 70 Old Broad Street, 1843-1926. It was amalgamated with the British Bank of Northern Commerce Limited in 1920.
Scope and content/abstract:
The surviving records of Hambros Bank Limited include:
2. Correspondence: from 1836-c 1864 there are separate bundles or files for each correspondent or topic, from 1861-1892 there is also a general series of "private letters" in annual bundles;
3. Loan papers: from 1880 an additional series of correspondence and related papers was kept, arranged in bundles by loan. The bundles were kept in "loan boxes" (if the loan was made) or "rejected addresses" (if the loan was not made);
5. General business papers;
6. Administrative papers: internal organisation, title deeds etc;
7. Family papers.
There is however a considerable overlap between material in many of the categories mentioned above and a number of documents relate to personal and family as well as business matters. The records of the Hambro family (MS19216- 20B) include baptismal certificates, photographs, papers relating to probate and related items.
Permission for access to records post-1975 should be sought from the depositor. Please ask a member of staff for further information.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section. The material has been arranged chronologically by type of record (accounts, correspondence and so on).
Conditions governing access:
Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
The Bank's archives were much depleted by destruction in 1906 (see Ms 19211) and by enemy action during the Second World War.
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archive was deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1977, 1980 and 1985 and catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff in 1980 and 1985. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
An account of the history of the bank is given in B Bramsen and K Wain,The Hambros 1779-1979 (London 1979), available in the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.