Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/021
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BALTIC EXCHANGE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1134 production units.
Name of creator(s): Jerusalem Coffee House x The Jerusalem Ltd x Jerusalem Shipping Exchange
Baltic Exchange | 1982-
London Shipping Exchange | 1892-1903
The Baltic Exchange was based successively at Threadneedle Street and St Mary Axe. It was founded in 1744 as the Virginia and Baltic Coffee House, established as a meeting place for merchants trading with Virginia or the Baltic. From 1823, it was known as the Baltic Coffee House; later becoming the Baltic Mercantile and Shipping Exchange Limited (1900-1981/2). In 1857 the Exchange formed the Baltic Company Limited to purchase South Sea House (wound up in 1899). In 1899 the Exchange formed a committee called the City of London Exchange Syndicate to purchase a site in Jeffrey's Square (wound up in 1900). From the late 19th century to the end of the 20th century, the Exchange became a worldwide centre for freight and records of many thousand ship charters are held.
The Jerusalem Coffee House was frequented by managing owners of East India Company ships and East India merchants and brokers. In 1892 the Jerusalem became the Jerusalem Shipping Exchange of 22 Billiter Street, setting itself up as a rival to the newly established London Shipping Exchange. The London Shipping Exchange was more successful and bought out the Jerusalem Shipping Exchange later that year. In 1903 the London Shipping Exchange amalgamated with the Baltic Committee to become the Baltic Mercantile and Shipping Exchange Limited.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Baltic Exchange (1821-1994); the London Shipping Exchange (1892-1903), which was purchased by the Baltic Exchange; and the Jerusalem Coffee House (1757-1833), which was purchased by the London Shipping Exchange. The records include minutes, agendas, financial accounts, letter books and correspondence, administrative papers, membership records, shipping papers and records of the Airbrokers Association, 1947-1976 and the Institute of Shipbrokers, 1917-1987.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English, French, Italian and Spanish.
System of arrangement:
Material arranged in 3 sub-fonds: CLC/B/021-1: Baltic Exchange; CLC/B/021-2: London Shipping Exchange; CLC/B/021-3: Jerusalem Coffee House.
Conditions governing access:
Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section by the Baltic Exchange in 1994 (except board minutes from 1903 and printed annual lists of members from ca. 1860 which are retained by the Baltic). The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
The following published histories are held in the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library: J.A. Findlay, The Baltic Exchange (London, 1927); Hugh Barty-King, The Baltic Exchange: the history of a unique market (London, 1977); Hugh Barty-King, Baltick Coffee House to Baltic Exchange, 1744-1994 (London, 1994). The Printed Books Section also holds printed lists of members from 1919/20-1990 (incomplete) and copies of the Baltic Exchange magazine, 1960-77.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.