Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/112-064
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HARCROS INVESTMENT TRUST LIMITED
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 31 production units comprising 31 envelopes.
Name of creator(s): Harcros Investment Trust Ltd | investment company
Rubber Plantations Investment Trust was registered in 1909 to acquire investment holdings in tea, rubber, plantation and other companies. The capital for investment was provided by Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) which transferred tea and rubber company shares. In 1922 Rubber Plantations Investment Trust owned 99,672 acres of land, the majority of which was on the East coast of Sumatra, and some in Travancore (Kerala) and Malaya.
In 1937 it acquired the whole stock of Sumatra Tea Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-146). In 1957 T.R.S. Ltd (CLC/B/112-150) became a wholly owned subsidiary. Rubber Plantations Investment Trust also held half of the capital of G.T.S. Syndicate Limited (CLC/B/112-052).
From 1968 it was known as Harcros Investment Trust Limited to reflect the changing nature of the business. The entire capital of Harcros Investment Trust Limited was acquired by Harrisons and Crosfield Limited in 1978. The Trust is last mentioned as a subsidiary of Harrisons and Crosfield in the annual report and accounts of 1989.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Harcros Investment Trust Limited, including articles of association; board minutes; annual reports; circulars to shareholders; correspondence; papers relating to the acquisition by Harrisons and Crosfield Limited and papers relating to estates owned by the Rubber Plantations Investment Trust.
Access to records less than 30 years old (or records less than 70 years old which relate to staff) should be sought from Elementis plc (contact details may be obtained from a member of staff).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Restricted access: please see staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of Harrisons and Crosfield and its subsidiary and secretarial companies were transferred to Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section between 1990 and 1998. The records were presented as a gift to the Library, except the minute books of some subsidiary companies which are held as a deposit. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
The Harrisons and Crosfield Ltd collection has been divided into 167 sub-fonds; CLC/B/112-001 to CLC/B/112-167. 001 to 016 are records relating to Harrisons and Crosfield (such as operational records, staff records, property records and so on), and 017 to 167 are the records of subsidiaries, plantations and associated organisations.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2010 to January 2011.