Graphical version

London Metropolitan Archives



Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0539

Held at: London Metropolitan Archives


Date(s): 1480-1824

Level of description: Collection

Extent: 0.15 linear metres.

Name of creator(s): Various.


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Manor of West Drayton was owned by Saint Paul's Cathedral from around 1000. It was leased out or farmed for the common benefit of the canons. Henry VIII acquired the manor in 1546 and granted it to Sir William Paget (1506-1568). It remained in the Paget family until 1786 when Henry Paget, the first Earl of Uxbridge (1744-1812) sold it to Fysh Coppinger, a London merchant. Coppinger assumed his wife's surname of de Burgh and the manor stayed in the de Burgh family until 1939.

Information from: 'Hillingdon, including Uxbridge: Manors and other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 69-75 (available online).


Scope and content/abstract:

Papers relating to West Drayton, including original presentments of the Customs of the Manor; survey of West Drayton field; records relating to property ownership including extracts from court rolls, fines, bonds, and agreements; letters; legal papers including Chancery proceedings against the Earl of Uxbridge; and papers relating to enclosure in West Drayton.

Papers relating to property in Hillingdon, Harlington and Cranford, comprising bond, articles of agreement, extracts from court rolls, assignments and indentures of fines.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement:

ACC/0539-1: Harlington and Cranford;
ACC/0539-2: Hillingdon;
ACC/0539-3: West Drayton Enclosure.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Physical characteristics:


Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:


Archival history:

The papers were collected by W G Haynes of Stanmore.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in August 1954.


Related material:

For more papers relating to the Paget family and the Earl of Uxbridge, see ACC/0446.


Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions: January to May 2011.

Chancery proceedings | Legal case records | Documents | Information sources
Enclosure records | Documents | Information sources
Manorial courts | Courts | Administration of justice
Manorial customs | Customs and traditions | Cultural heritage
Manorial records | Documents | Information sources
Property owners | People by roles | People
Property ownership | Civil law | Legal systems | Law
Property transfer | Property
Right to property | Civil and political rights | Human rights
Title deeds | Deeds | Documents | Information sources
Property law x Right to property
Primary documents

Personal names
Paget | family | of Staffordshire and Middlesex

Corporate names
Manor of West Drayton

Cranford | Hounslow | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
Harlington | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
Hillingdon (district) | Hillingdon | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe
West Drayton | Hillingdon | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe