Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0460
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: FLOWER, Sir Charles (fl 1820)
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.66 linear metres (117 documents).
Name of creator(s): Various.
An estate in Mill Hill known as Belmont Farm was acquired by Peter Hammond between 1768 and 1792. He left the estate to his daughter, wife of Somerset Davies. Davies coveyed 83 acres to Robert Anderson in 1801, but when Anderson went bankrupt in 1803 the estate was bought by Captain Robert Williams. He conveyed the estate to David Prior in 1812. Prior's widow sold the estate to Sir Charles Flower in 1820. Flower was a mill owner and had been Lord Mayor of London. He purchased more land from Robert Finch and Michael Coomes in 1821 and 1826, so that by 1828 his estate comprised 441 acres and stretched from the Hale to the Totteridge boundary, including Lawrence Street, Uphill and Bittacy farms. Flower left the estate to his son James, who died in 1850. By 1889 the estate had been split up.
From: 'Hendon: Other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 21-23 (available online).
Scope and content/abstract:
Papers relating to the Belmont Farm estate in Mill Hill, including deeds and other property ownership documents from various owners of the estate: Peter Hammond, his son-in-law Somerset Davies, and Sir Charles Flower. Also papers relating to Sir Charles Flower's expansion of the estates.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The documents have been arranged in 9 series according to property.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in April 1952.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to May 2011.