Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/223
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: WILLIAM JAMES BARNSDALE AND SON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 25 production units.
Name of creator(s): William James Barnsdale and Son | watch and clockmakers
John Barnsdale (1800-65) was born into a family of clockmakers from Bale, Norfolk. In 1825 he married Sarah Elizabeth Barnsdale in Shoreditch. In 1862 he moved his clockmaking business to 11 Brunswick Place. On his death in 1865, the business was taken over by his third son, William Barnsdale (1834-1921), who moved it to 16 Brunswick Place in 1868 and then to 18 Brunswick Place in 1871. William Barnsdale was Master of the Clockmakers' Company in 1906. He married Sarah Augusta Clinch (1832-99) in 1859. From 1902-22 the firm is listed at J Barnsdale and Son. From 1923, after his father's death, William James Barnsdale (1860-1935) took on the business, moving it to 3 Newman's Court, where it was known as William James Barnsdale and Son. He married Amelia Ricards in 1891 and the family lived in Stamford Hill. William James Barnsdale was Master of the Clockmakers' Company in 1919 and 1930. On his death, his son Stanley Barnsdale (1894-1973) took over the business, moving premises to 10 Queen Street from 1953-60.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of William James Barnsdale and Son, watch and clockmakers, comprising order and repair books and accounts, as well as a pedigree of the family from the 18th to the 20th centuries.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
The archives were purchased at various dates by the Clockmakers' Company and deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library. They were catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See also CLC/L/CD: Worshipful Company of Clockmakers.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to May 2011.