Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/227-066
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: DRY DOCKS CORPORATION OF LONDON LIMITED
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2 production units.
Name of creator(s): Dry Docks Corporation of London Ltd | shipbuilders, repairers and marine engineers
The Dry Docks Corporation of London Ltd, shipbuilders, repairers and marine engineers, was formed in 1886 to amalgamate 28 London graving docks and thereby create a monopoly. One of the Corporation's founding directors was John Denison Pender who had previously become the owner of the West India Graving Dock, latterly through the West India Graving Dock Company registered in 1883. The lease of the West India Dock Graving Dock was transferred to the new company. Business was then slack, however, and the Dry Docks Corporation was voluntarily wound up in June 1888. The Corporation was based at 165 Fenchurch Street.
Scope and content/abstract:
The Dry Docks Corporation of London Limited records comprise the minute book of the board of directors and finance committee, and accompanying index. The whereabouts of any other records is not known.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Volumes in chronological order.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Given to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library by the British Records Association in 1970. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to May 2011.