Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/163
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: MORGAN GRENFELL AND COMPANY LIMITED
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1554 production units.
Name of creator(s): Morgan Grenfell and Co Limited | merchant bankers
George Peabody, a partner in Peabody Riggs and Company, merchants of Baltimore, with offices at 31 Moorgate, established his own business as a merchant at the same address in 1838. He ended his association with the American firm in ca.1843 and removed to 6 Warnford Court in 1845. In 1852 he took Mr. O. C. Gooch into partnership and the style of the firm changed to George Peabody and Company, merchants.
In 1854 it moved to 22 Old Broad Street. In the same year Junius Spencer Morgan became a partner and upon Peabody's retirement in 1864 the style of the firm became J S Morgan and Company (London Directories refer to it as Junius Spencer Morgan and Company until 1895). Edward Grenfell became a full partner in 1904 and the style Morgan Grenfell was adopted on 1 January 1910. Between 1918 and 1934 the bank was a private unlimited company, and in 1934 it became a private limited company.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Morgan Grenfell and Company Limited, merchant bankers, their predecessors, and companies they took over; comprising ledgers, journals, letter books, correspondence and other papers.
Access to all the records is restricted to persons with written permission from the depositor (contact details may be obtained from a member of staff).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
CLC/B/163-01: Morgan Grenfell and Company;
CLC/B/163-02: Cull and Company;
CLC/B/163-03: Pember and Boyle;
CLC/B/163-04: Yule, Catto and Company.
Conditions governing access:
Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were deposited at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section in 1984, 1990 and 1992. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to May 2011.