Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/131
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: J. TYLOR AND SONS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 28 production units, comprising 2 volumes and 26 bundles.
Name of creator(s): J Tylor and Sons Ltd | brass founders and manufacturers of sanitary appliances
Tylors (Water & Sanitary) Ltd | brass founders and manufacturers of sanitary appliances
Tylors of London Ltd | brass founders and manufacturers of sanitary appliances
J Tylor and Sons was founded by John Tylor, a Quaker, who was free of the Armourers' and Brasiers' Company in 1778. (The company histories - see MS29374 - mention "Joseph" Tylor and "1777" but do not make any reference to sources. The London trade directories consistently show John Tylor.)
The firm became a limited company in 1892, known as J Tylor and Sons Ltd but underwent two more changes of name, to Tylors (Water and Sanitary) Ltd in 1920 and Tylors of London Ltd in 1947. At first the company specialised in manufacturing tea-urns but gradually expanded its range of items. In the late 19th century J Tylor and Sons were known as hydraulic and sanitary engineers and brass founders and produced water meters, diving suits, soda syphons and urinals as well as many other items. The company appears to have responded quickly to new and growing markets and to have dropped unprofitable lines. In the 20th century a line of bathroom requisites was developed, the motor-car trade appeared briefly and in 1956 all sanitary connections were dropped altogether.
The firm merged with HRI Flowmeters in 1956 and in 1958 became a subsidiary of an American firm, Crane Ltd. In 1975 both firms were incorporated into the General Electric Company.
The firm was based at 75 Wood Street 1778-93; 3 Cripplegate Buildings 1794-1828; College of Physicians, Warwick Lane (later called 2 Newgate Street) 1829-91; 2 Newgate Street and Belle Isle, King's Cross 1892-1907; Belle Isle and 232 Tottenham Court Road 1908-56; and at Burgess Hill, Sussex from 1956.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of J Tylor and Sons Limited, brass founders and manufacturers of sanitary appliances, including registers of patents granted to the company; specifications for water meters and sanitary appliances; patent certificates; certificates of registration of design, with designs attached; sales catalogues; and company histories.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
These records were given to Guildhall Library in 1992-3 by a private individual (an ex-member of staff) and catalogued by Charlie Turpie in 1994. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
If any ledgers or minute books survive, they are presumably held by the General Electric Company.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to May 2011.