Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0401
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HILLINGDON (LORD) ESTATE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.94 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Mills | family | private bankers
The Manor of Hayes was purchased in 1858 by Charles Mills, a member of the distinguished Mills banking family, who were partners in Glyns private banking house. He also acquired the Manors of Norwood and Southall, extending his estate to cover most of Hayes parish, from the Yeading Brook on the east to Hillingdon on the west and Uxbridge Road on the south. Mills was made a baronet in 1868. His son Sir Charles Henry Mills inherited the estate in 1872. In 1886 he was created Lord Hillingdon.
From: 'Hayes: Manors and other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 26-29 (available online).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Mills family of Hillingdon, including court rolls for the Manors of Hayes, Northolt, and Northwood; documents relating to property transactions in Middlesex, Westminster and the City of London; maps; sales particulars; marriage settlements; wills; extracts from parish registers and insurance policies.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The papers have been arranged in 22 series.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in December 1950.
For more information on the Mills see Youssef Cassis, 'Mills family (per. 1773-1939)', Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to May 2011.