Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/128
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: J & A SCRIMGEOUR
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6 production units.
Name of creator(s): J & A Scrimgeour | stockbrokers
The stockbroking firm of J and A Scrimgeour first appears in printed lists of members of the Stock Exchange in 1864. It became a limited company in ca. 1972. In around 1981, J and A Scrimgeour Limited merged with Kemp-Gee and Company to form Scrimgeour, Kemp-Gee and Company. The new company joined with Vickers da Costa (UK) Limited in 1985 to form Scrimgeour Vickers and Company. At this date Citicorp Investment Bank Limited acquired a minority stake in the firm, later taking full control. The constituent companies were subsequently closed down.
J and A Scrimgeour had premises at 18 Old Broad Street (1864-c 1903); South Sea House, Threadneedle Street (c 1903-1909); 2 and 3 Hatton Court, Threadneedle Street ([1909-1921]); 6 Austin Friars ([1921-1930]); 3 Lothbury and 5 Moorgate ([1930-1945]); 3 Lothbury ([1945-1952]); 15 and 16 George Street, Mansion House Place (-1976). From 1977, J and A Scrimgeour Limited is listed at The Stock Exchange, with other offices at 18-20 Andrew Street and 1 Benjamin Street. Scrimgeour, Kemp-Gee and Company (subsequently Scrimgeour Vickers and Company) had offices at 20 Copthall Avenue.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of J and A Scrimgeour, stockbrokers, including articles of partnership and ledgers.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
These records were presented to the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 2008 by a former employee of Kemp-Gee & Co. They were catalogued in 2008. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.
It is believed that some other records remain in private hands.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to May 2011.