Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/1068
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: TOTTENHAM MANORS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres (36 documents).
Name of creator(s): Manor of Tottenham
This collection of deeds relating to the manor of Mockings in Tottenham 1340-1653, provides useful information about the ownership of the manor. The manor originated in the grant made by Edward III to Richard Spigurnel in 1335 of a third part of the manor of Bruces in Tottenham. Spigurnel conveyed his property to John de Mockyng of Somerset, which transaction was confirmed by an indenture of final agreement of 8th July 1340 (the earliest deed in this collection). John de Mockyng died in 1347 leaving the property to his son John, who died in 1360. The Mocking family gave their name to the manor, as is shown by a deed of 1427 first describing the property as the ""manor called Mokking"".
About 1360, it came into the hands of Roger Shipbroke and his wife Margaret who settled it on their daughter Margerie and her husband Helming Leget. Their grandson Thomas inherited it in 1427 but mortgaged it to John Gedeney, a wealthy draper and alderman of the City of London. John Gedeney retained Mockings and also acquired the remaining two thirds of Bruces and the other two Tottenham manors, Dawbeneys and Pembrokes. The four manors remained united after this and passed to Gedeney's daughter and her husband, and their daughter Thomasina and her husband John Risley. The Risleys left no surviving children, and the manors were regained by the crown and granted to Sir William Compton.
It is perhaps worth noting that the holders of this property probably did not live in Tottenham themselves but may have "farmed" or leased the manors to other people. Helming Leget was described as "of Essex", and John Gedeney leased Mokkings to Thomas Remmy, a goldsmith, in 1442, when the manor was in the tenure and occupation of Richard Pigot.
Scope and content/abstract:
Title deeds, leases and other property documents relating to the Manors of Mockings, Pembrokes, Bruces and Dawbeneys, Tottenham.
A document of wide interest is the will of Richard Turnaunt of 1486, leaving, amongst other bequests, 80 worth of silver and gilt to his daughter. The silver is described in detail and includes, for example, a silver gilt cup with a cover in the shape of a columbine with pearls on the knop (a term used to describe a knob or boss on silver plate), weighing 43 ounces troy, a little gold salt with a cover decorated with a stag, and a standing cup and cover of silver parcel gilt chased with feathers or plumes. The documents are in good condition. Most have been numbered on the dorse in what appears to be a nineteenth century hand, as for example "Mx No.4"
Many of the title-holders, trustees and witnesses concerned with these deeds were City of London drapers. John Gedeney used an interesting seal (see Nos. 8,9,17,20) showing a device which may also have been a trade mark. Another draper, John Bederenden, used one of a somewhat similar style (see No. 22). there are a number of interesting and well-preserved seals in this collection, although some are forms of initial letters, or obvious devices such as the shell of Michell (No.22). Standard forms of seals were also used, such as the commonly found mother and child.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
ACC/1068-1: Manor of Mockings;
ACC/1068-2: Manors of Mockings, Pembrokes, Bruces and Dawbeneys;
ACC/1068-3: Leases and Bond.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited in December 1969.
For other papers relating to the Tottenham manors see ACC/0695.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Records prepared May to September 2011.