Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0828
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BATEMAN FAMILY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.38 linear metres (31 documents).
Name of creator(s): Bateman | family | of Brentford and Ealing
The Castle Bar Estate in Ealing was established in 1423 by Richard Barenger. In 1650 it was purchased by Sir William Bateman, who held other land in Ealing, and left to his descendants. William Bateman (d 1797) and his children William (d 1820) and Mary (d 1833) were all lunatics and the estate was disputed among Mary's heirs. The estate was bought by Francis Swinden in 1854. A three-storey mansion, called Castlebar House, stood on Castlebar Hill. It was built around 1641, but was dilapidated by 1855 when it was demolished. Tenants included Isabella Cunningham, countess of Glencairn; Lt-Gen Sir Frederick Augustus Wetherall (1754-1842) in 1818, and Sir Jonathan Miles in 1819.
From: 'Ealing and Brentford: Other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 128-131 (available online).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Bateman family relating to their property in Ealing, Elbow Lane (later Little College Street) in the City of London, Tottenham; and out of London in Chesham, Buckinghamshire; and Kimberworth, Yorkshire (this latter including coal mines).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The following original bundles had original numbers:- 3, 5-12, 14, 15, 18-24, 31. Intervening numbers were given to unnumbered original numbers to groups of documents found loose.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Gifted to the Archive in June 1963.
For papers relating to the Castle Bar Estate in Ealing see ACC/1028.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Records prepared May to September 2011.