Reference code(s): GB 0074 M/81
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HAMPSTEAD MANOR
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.45 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Manor of Hampstead
The manor of Hampstead was held by Westminster Abbey from 1086 till 1540 when the Abbey surrendered to the Crown. The Crown endowed the land to the new Bishopric of Westminster until this was dissolved in 1550. Subsequently the manor was granted to Sir Thomas Wroth. In 1620 it was sold to Sir Baptist Hicks, and stayed in his family until 1707 when it was sold to Sir William Langhorne. It subsequently passed through various hands until the manorial rights lapsed in 1944. In 1889 part of the estate, East Heath Park, comprising 56 acres, was added to Hampstead Heath.
'Hampstead: Manor and Other Estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 91-111 (available online).
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Manor of Hampstead, including quit rent book; stewards' warrants; minutes, correspondence and papers of the Committee of Copyholders of the Manor of Hampstead; financial accounts; and plans of parts of Hampstead Heath.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records arranged in chronological order.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
No accession information is currently available for this deposit.
For other records at LMA relating to Hampstead Manor see references ACC/0104; E/MW/H; HMD/X and O/530.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Records prepared May to September 2011.