Reference code(s): GB 0074 O/230
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: LONDON PAVILION, PICCADILLY CIRCUS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Unknown.
The London Pavilion on Piccadilly Circus was originally an annexe to the Black Horse Inn. From 1861 it was used as a music hall and museum of anatomy. The hall was rebuilt in 1885 by architects Worley and Saunders. It was managed by Edmund Villiers and was hailed as a new, improved type of music hall, known as a variety theatre and noted for its interior opulence. In 1934 the building was converted into a cinema and premiered several noted films. In 1986 the building was closed. The interior was gutted (although the facade was preserved and is still visible) and was converted into part of the Trocadero shopping centre.
Scope and content/abstract:
Auction particulars of the London Pavilion, Piccadilly Circus, Westminster.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Immediate source of acquisition:
Gifted to the Archive in February 1967.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: Records prepared May to September 2011.